Started in September 2008, the Society of Robotics And Automation, better known as the SRA is a student's society which deals with Robotics, machine vision,
Automation and the allied fields.
SRA aims to create awareness and promotes robotics among students at VJTI and other leading colleges in Mumbai.We start right from an introduction to the
basics of robotics.We encourage the students to pursue robotics as a serious career choice and give the relevant exposure for the same during the course of their degree.
What does the Society do?
Since its formation, the society has already achieved quite a lot.We mentor beginners, take up interesting projects and conduct workshops to cohere our efforts in the same and reduce the steep learning curve associated with beginners.
The following activities are carried out by the society :
- Workshops & Seminars : Seminars and workshops can be conducted to guide a large number of beginners and even advanced beginners on a variety
of topics to develop skills.Workshops are conducted hands on so that the students can easily understand the different concepts and implement the same.
- Participation in Competitions ( Institute Representation ) : The Society will represent the college at national level technical competitions related to robotics such as those at IITs and Robocon.
- Mentorship Programmes : A novel approach to help beginner members to gain exposure, by providing them a Core group member with relevant experience to be a mentor for them in their projects and competitions.
- Online Resources and Regularly Maintained Website : We have a regularly maintained website to keep the members updated about the society's activities. The website also has news about the competitions.There is also a section where members can find tutorials which may help them in their projects and competitions.
- Project Work Under Professors :Project work in Robotics, not only for final year students, but even for students from the previous years.
- Common Pool of Components : The purchase of components in wholesale and the subsequent sharing of these components and devices allows for lesser wastage higher utilization and lesser cost. Members will be able to avail of these facilities as per availability.
- Industrial Visits : Industrial Visits can make for a comprehensive way to learn about new technologies and expose students to current problems and projects in the industry.
Funding for projects can also be provided by the Society, provided the idea is unique, practical and approved by the Senate and the faculty coordinators.
SRA and Industry Interaction
Technology and Products: We will be in touch with representatives from the industry in order to acquire the latest technology and advanced products to assist in our
robotic endeavors. Working knowledge about these products will be handed down to the SRA members to help them cope with the increasing challenges in robotics competitions.
Internships: It is one of our goals to encourage companies to offer internship programs to members to help them gain a firsthand experience of industrial technology.
Seminars: Around the year seminars will be conducted by representatives from the industry giving members an insight into newer technology.
The society comes under the Mechanical Engineering Department, It is housed at C T 001 on the Ground Floor of the Mechanical Engineering Department.
Organisation of the society
The society consists of two levels, the Senate, a group of seniors who spearhead the organisation, and Regular Members of the Society. Senate Membership is given
to members with sufficient experience only. Each member gets an access to the common pool of components and is allowed to be a part of Industrial Visits
Mentorship Programmes, and Institute Level efforts in any Robotics Competition and to take part in Workshops.
All the Best and Happy Roboting!